Rev. Earee accident, Taueru, 1902

Shortly after leaving Taueru last evening (about a quarter to six o'clock) where he had held afternoon service, the Rev. Wyndham Earee had a mishap which might have proved fatal to himself and his horse. The trap he was driving literally came in two without any warning whatever--the wheels, springs and axle-tree broke clean off from the body of the trap, which, falling to the ground, caused the horse at once to bolt.

Read more: Rev. Earee accident, Taueru, 1902

Rev Wyndham Earee farewelled, 1905

St Matthew's Sunday-school was packed to the doors last evening, when the parishioners tendered a farewell social to their departing Vicar [Rev. Wyndham Earee]. On the platform were seated the Rev. D. J. Murray and Mr P. L. Hollings, representing the local Methodist Church, the Rev. R. Young (Anglican), of Greytown, and prominent local Anglican churchmen.

Read more: Rev Wyndham Earee farewelled, 1905

Archdeacon William Bullock: Vicar 1922-1930

Archdeacon William Bullock

The Rev. William Bullock was Vicar of St Matthew's from 7 June 1922 until 1930, when he was appointed Vicar of St Peter's, Wellington, to replace the Rev. Herbert Watson, who had resigned because of ill health.  Mr Watson preceded Mr Bullock as Vicar of St Matthew's.

He appears to have been a popular and effective vicar, as the Evening Post of 23 April 1930 notes that the Vestry of St Matthew's received his resignation at a special meeting "with genuine and sincere regret."

Read more: Archdeacon William Bullock: Vicar 1922-1930

Installation of Rev. Mr Earee, 1897

Rev Earee and others sitting in garden - 01-25/18.digital

The installation of the Rev. Percy Wyndham Earee to the cure of souls at St. Matthew's, Masterton, took place in the Church last evening, the Venerable Archdeacon Fancourt, of Wellington, the Bishop's Commissary, performing the ceremony. There were three other visiting clergymen present, viz., Rev. W Ballachey (Carterton), Rev. Mr Young (Foxton), and the Rev. H. F. Hunt (Palmerston North).

Read more: Installation of Rev. Mr Earee, 1897

Institution of Rev. A.M. Johnson, 1905

The Rev. A.M. Johnson

Institution of Rev. A.M. Johnson, 1905

The institution of the Rev. A.M. Johnson (late of St. Luke's Church, Greytown) as Vicar of St. Matthew's Church, Masterton, took place last evening, when a large congregation was present.

The Choir, under the leadership of Mr Fred. Hunn, took part in the service, in the course of which they rendered several hymns suitable to the occasion, and also the anthem, "Gloria in Excelsis."

The service was a specially solemn and impressive one, and is one to which a considerable amount of interest attaches, as it is, comparatively speaking, of infrequent occurrence.

The Bishop's pastoral staff was borne by the Rev. S. Spencer, who intoned the service. Special lessons for the occasion were read by Mr W.A. Fendall and Rev. Johnson. The Bishop took his seat at the Communion Table, the Rev. Spencer reading the nomination. The Churchwardens presented the Rev. Allan McDonald Johnson to the Bishop. The institution ceremony was then conducted by the Bishop, the Rev. Johnson making a declaration that he would faithfully fulfil the trust reposed in him, and would obey the authority of the Bishop and the general Synod. The sacred ceremony was completed by the Bishop reading and delivering to the Rev. Johnson the letter of institution, to which the seal and signature of the Bishop was affixed.

The Bishop then addressed the congregation, and in the course of his remarks he quoted the case of St. Paul, who was sent by the Lord to Rome to preach the Gospel, and although he was not successful in his mission, being subjected to ridicule by the Roman King, he went with a cheerful heart, knowing it was the wish of his Master, and although his promotion was not evident to most people, he felt he was rewarded for his labours by being entrusted with such a mission. The Rev. Johnson had had an arduous task in South Wairarapa, and he (the Bishop) felt that he was now rewarded by being promoted to the curacy of St. Matthew's, Masterton, the largest church in Wairarapa. The Bishop said he had shared on more than one occasion in the Rev. Johnson's long journeys to the remote parts of his charge in South Wairarapa; but it was in the summer time when the weather was fine, and he could well imagine the trying journeys through the winter. Rev. Johnson had done his work cheerfully, without seeking for reward, which had now come by God's will, and he wished Mr Johnson every success in his new sphere of labour, which he felt would be crowned with success. He made an appeal to the congregation to assist their new minister in his work, and to keep the doors of the church as wide open as possible. People of the Colony were rather inclined to regard the church as an institution. He wished the congregation to pray that their minister might do his duty faithfully to God, which was better than any earthly praise that might be lavished upon him,

The service closed with prayer.

 

Wairarapa Daily Times, 25 October 1905